Monday, February 27, 2012

My Last Story For You, OCF


Hi OCF! I'm here to share with you what would be one of my most memorable CoffeeMin experience.
Firstly, I want to stress the importance of a few things: expectancy/readiness, prayer, spiritual covering, being ready for spirit-led conversations.

When I served at CoffeeMin last week, I honestly had zero expectations - I only turned up because I was rostered, and nothing really happened for me that night. On Tuesday, I served again and I met this girl whom I managed to share a little bit with as God led me to share about worship. With enthusiasm, I returned the next day and wanted to see if I could continue the conversation, but she didn't turn up. I met this other guy, though, who was open enough to share about his interests etc. Somehow I remembered him from that night because he sounded really smart, and he was blonde. Haha.

Last night, I was rostered again. As I anxiously waited for the same girl from Tuesday to show up, I saw the blonde guy walk out of the library. We chatted for almost the whole night, and this time it was mostly spiritual-God-talk. His ideas were very interesting - he was obviously doing a lot of soul searching.

The only reason I really believe that both these instances were God & spirit-led was because I said things that I normally wouldn't say. e.g. I don't normally tell people I sing in the worship team, or bring up Bible characters. The Holy Spirit does that. He prompts us to say the right things at the right time to the right person -  I wasn't even consciously thinking of what to say for once; I was consciously praying in my head.

Sometimes we need to discern when to speak, retaliate, or correct, and when to listen to the other person. Like with the blonde guy, I trust that God opened his heart to share rather private stories about his family and spiritual experiences. Eventhough I sensed that some off his thoughts weren't biblically sound, it wasn't the time for any Bible-bashing; it was time to listen - and he was thankful that he could share this with someone. There are times we meet people who really need to hear about Jesus, but there are also times where we need to just hear someone out, like how Jesus hears us out all the time.

One last thing, don't downplay the power of prayer. Please pray for spiritual covering at every briefing because we're going out to battle when we do something like CoffeeMin. Pray continuously as a team. Nothing like knowing that your team is right behind you when you're reaching out to someone.

So yes, let's learn to love and plant the seed together as we continue serving in our own way not just in CoffeeMin or OCF, but wherever God places us. Amen!

-- Christina, 11 November 2011.



No comments: